Here’s the Travel Miles 101 roundup of essential news for the week ending 11/13/2015:
- New Airline Routes of Note:
- Airberlin announces 3 new US routes from Dusseldorf to: Boston, Dallas and San Francisco. This is especially good news for those with British Airways Avios or American Airlines miles as there are no fuel surcharges on Airberlin flights. It is often difficult to get to/from Europe using either of those currencies because of fuel surcharges, so every additional option is a huge benefit. BOS-DUS is an especially nice ‘sweet spot’ with Avios at 20,000 miles one-way
- New American Airlines Flights to Cancun from 7,500 Avios: New Routes to Cancun from Kansas City, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Raleigh-Durham.
- American Launching Service from Los Angeles to Auckland, New Zealand from LAX which comes on the heels of United’s announcement of an Auckland route from SFO. American is also adding a route from LAX to Sydney in December.
- Delta is also adding a significant number of routes to Europe and Israel.
- Travel is Free: Get 20,000 Virgin Elevate Points for Free (from AirBnB) – “Host” 1 AirBnB night and get 20,000 highly valuable Virgin America miles! This is the kind of deal that gets people excited and Drew does a great job explaining how to maximize this.
- Hotel credit card annual free award night information:
- Mommy Points: Which Credit Cards Give an Annual Hotel Award Night
- Million Mile Secrets: Top 5 Hotels in Europe to Book with IHG Card’s Free Night
- Million Mile Secrets: 5 Great Hotels in the US with IHG Card’s Free Night
- Milevalue: Planning Myself a Three One Way Award to South America – This is essential information if you have United miles and it adds further to our knowledge of the “free stopover’ concept. A huge thanks to Scott for this series on ‘three one ways.’
- Milevalue: Using Asia Miles (ThankYou Points Partner) for South America Trip Where You See 11 Places – Wow, this one is impressive! Asia Miles are a great potential use of Citi ThankYou points (also Amex MR and SPG transfer partner) — you want to read this one.
- Milevalue: Presentation on round-the-world trips – Yet another gem from Milevalue! If you’ve ever dreamed of putting together a multi-stop round-the-world trip, this will be a huge help.
- Million Mile Secrets: Can You Use Singapore Airlines Miles to Book United Airlines Flights to the Caribbean? – This shows how you can use Singapore Airlines miles to book United flights (to the Caribbean and beyond) and save significantly on fees if you book within 21 days or have to cancel/change your itinerary. Singapore miles are available from all four of the transferable points programs so they are easy to earn.
Travel Miles 101 has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Travel Miles 101 and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.